Sunday, April 27, 2008

Hilton Head

Blogging today from beautiful Hilton Head, South Carolina!
I wish I had the ability to download some of the pictures I've taken, but suffice to say, it's very, very, VERY pretty here!
Our flight was at 6:30 yesterday morning, and as you know, I'm not that technically savvy. I set my blackberry alarm for 3:50 am and went to bed. As luck would have it, my alarm did not go off, but I woke up at 4:25. WTF! It turns out that I was technically savvy enough to figure out a long time ago how to make the alarm not go off on weekends. As my flight was on Saturday morning, you guessed it...it let me sleep in. Nonetheless, I was out the door in 20 minutes and made it to the airport on time (but just!)
The flight was uneventful, but very interesting flying over HH as the tide was out.
We checked in, only to find out that C and I had seperate rooms, overlooking the ocean. Wow, talk about luxury! We are here for a conference, but it doesn't start until Monday afternoon so we have quite a bit of free time until then. Saturday after check in, we waited for our luggage to arrive. We waited, and waited and waited. Finally the bellhop came and asked for our car keys. (oh ya! I rented a car through hotwire.com. An economy car, with unllimited milage was $19 dollars a day. When we got to Budget, they had no economy cars left, so we got upgraded to an Impala, which is much nicer than my economy car at home!)
Anyway, back to the bellhop...we gave him the keys and then realized that we had already unloaded our suitcases when we first pulled up. Then we started thinking OMG! Maybe it's a scam!. We rented a cheap car, and now the same company is going to steal it bacdk from us to make money!
Hmpff. And there I was thinking what a fine way to start this leg of our trip, having to deal with the police over a stolen rental car.
Anyway, when all that was cleared up (our luggage was in the room with the people we had come down with) we put on our swimmies, grabbed a margharita and headed for the beach.
We dutifully turned every half an hour, and are a nice pink colour. Hey. After the winter we had, I am willing to risk some deadly sun rays for a few days!
Later we went for a long walk and guess what?! There are tons of star fish and sand dollars that wash up on the shore when the tide goes out! I was so excited when I found my first one, I was jumping up and down like a five year old. Only, a few seconds later I ealized that there were many, many more.
Had a wonderful dinner at a place caleed Alexander's, was back at the hotel by 9pm, and in bed by 9:30. A long, but fantastic day.
today, we are spending the day in Savannah. A city I have wanted to go to since reading 'Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil."

No comments: