Sunday, November 11, 2007

Flintstones - Happy Anniversary

It's been two years since Greg and I were married , and it's been all good. Although I never really had much thought about 'finding my soul mate' I think that inadvertently, I did. I just looked up some descriptions of Soul Mates and here is what I've discovered from about.com.
1) Some believe that a soul mate is someone with whom a person has shared other life times through reincarnation. The soul mate could be a friend, business partner, parent, child, sibling, spouse or other family member. These soul mates can be of the same or opposite sex.

Although the thought of reincarnation is interesting, and perhaps makes death of a loved one easier to accept, I'm not sure that I believe in the thought of sharing other lifetimes. Does believing in reincarnation mean that there are a finite number of souls available to be used? What happens as the world population expands? Are some people 'soulless?'

2) Others believe that a soul mate is a person's"other half". I don't believe that any person completes another.

3)Predestination: the thought that people are drawn together as soul mates by destiny or fate and that being with our soul mate is something we have no control over. Hmmm...so if you meet a manipulative control freak and can't end the relationship, does that make him your soul mate?

4) Making Life Come to Life: Richard Bach describes soul mates as "A soul mate is someone who has the locks to fit our keys, and the keys to fit our locks. When we feel safe enough to open the locks, our truest selves step out and we can be completely and honestly who we; we can be loved for who we are and for who we're pretending to be. Each of us unveils the best part of one another. No matter what else goes wrong around us, with that one person were safe in our paradise. Our soul mate is someone who shares our deepest longings, our sense of direction. When we're two balloons, and together our direction is up, chances are we've found the right person. Our soul mate is the one who makes life come to life. "

yadda, yadda, yadda...this just sounds too foofy.
5)Profound Connection:Thomas Moore, in his book Soul Mates: Honoring the Mysteries of Love and Relationship, page xvii, describes a soul mate as "someone to whom we feel profoundly connected, as though the communication and communing that take place between us were not the product of intentional efforts, but rather a divine grace. This kind of relationship is so important to the soul that many have said there is nothing more precious in life." again. Foofy. Nothing more precious in life...
6)Feeling at Ease With one Another: We don't believe a soul mate is the ideal or one and only person in someones life. Our definition of soul mates is people who together want to work on making their marriage a great one. Their relationship feels like a natural fit, and although they need to work on their marriage, it is not hard to do. When soul mates first meet, there is an immediate sense of being at ease and connected. This one, I DO get. When Greg and I met, I can honestly say that I JUST KNEW. I just knew that he was different, that we 'got' one another.
7)General Belief: Most believe that soul mates can accept and love every part of the other's personality and that life with a soul mate is easy and natural. Kind of the same as Number 6. So, if this is the case, that I'd have to say that I was fortunate to find, and marry my Soul Mate.

Happy 2nd Anniversary to us! I've been singing this ridiculous song all day:

5 comments:

Pez said...

Happy Anniversary Ramona and Greg!

Donna said...

Happy Anniversary! We used to talk about past lives and all that sort of thing, but as the years pass I think we both realize that we were just incredibly lucky to find each other and celebrate our togetherness each and every month.

Moon said...

happy Anniversary to you and Greg also!!! I have to agree with you on #6 but I do like the foofy #4 lol, Chris and I are still amazed at how close our connection is after 5 yrs (1.5 married)...it actually freaks us out (in a good way) often lol. I thank my lucky stars that we found eachother...

Begered said...

HAPPY ANNIVERSATY!!! I am glad you two found eachother and are so happy. I am really happy for the two of you! :)

Kristi said...

Happy Anniversary, Ramona! I like #6 as well.