Monday, October 15, 2007

It is quite possible that tonight will be my last night shift. At least that is what I am hoping. Our Recovery Room is so short-staffed that I've been filling in a lot of the nights to accommodate staffing. So, tonight is my 6th shift in a row, and I'm here all by my lonesome listening to my patient snore. If I have to have an overnighter, I prefer them snoring vs. complaining of pain. At least I know he's comfortable. If any of you are married to 67 yr old men, or have fathers or loved ones this age, please tell them to stay out of trees as 30 feet is a long way to fall. For that matter, advise them to stay off ladders and rooftops, too.
Life is pretty much status quo, and has been for a long time. The medications are working, I'm no longer crying at the drop of a hat, and the social anxiety I was feeling has lessened, although has not totally disappeared. I still prefer to entertain in my own surroundings vs. going out. Greg and I were talking today about how we don't go out anymore. Both of us are so comfortable at home, but I couldn't tell you the last time we went out for dinner, or a movie, or to go listen to live music. Having Buddy around is great because it does get us out of the house for a little while each day, and we have gotten to know the neighbours quite well. Towards the end of this month, are a few milestones for us, that we thought we would make special. Oct 26th marks 5 years since we met, Nov 1st is our first real date and our 1 year anniversary in the house, and Nov 11 is our 2nd wedding anniversary. We talked about how we would make a point of having 3 date nights to celebrate. Don't go holding your breath, but I'll let you know if we actually leave the house.
I've now finished the 5th Harry Potter book, and plan to start #6 this week. I've REALLY enjoyed reading them this summer, and am so glad that I finally gave in to the HP craze, it has totally entertained me to the point where I think of us ordinary folks as 'Muggles.'
Last night I started putting together the Hallowe'en goodie bags for the neighbourhood kids. I might have gone a little crazy, but I got excited because it is our first time that we'll have little witches and dementors come to the door. My BFF, Pez, has a son who is allergic to peanuts, and I understand that there are a lot of kids with this allergy. So, to be respectful of this potentially deadly allergy, I put together a peanut-free bag. Inside each bag is a Hallowe'en pencil and eraser, a glow-in the dark tarantula, finger, or bat, rubber flies, and Tootsie Roll confection. I made up 50 bags and was quite happy with how they turned out. I hope that the kids like them, I think I would if I was a kid. I started reminiscing about Hallowe'en candy when I was a kid. I always hated those stale molasses peanut-buttery toffees that were wrapped in orange, black and white wax paper. I think people saved them from their kids previous loot and re-gifted them the following year. Ugh! They were gross. Any candy you remember hating?
Anyway, I must get back to work. This was a nice little blog interruption tho!

5 comments:

Lori said...

I used to trade candy with my younger sister. She was quite gullible and I was not a nice older sister. I used to trade her the nasty stuff but act like it was delicious (then why was I giving it up???) Anyway, it turns out she never ate much of it anyway and still had Halloween candy at Easter (no kidding!). But mine was gone in a week...if that.

Moon said...

Oh I hated the same ones..and I feel guilty for saying I hated ppl who gave out apples...they were groaners lol, ok, apples are good for u...yada yada ...I didn't like those waxy orang and white candies that look like a tooth, don't remember the name of them...

Pez said...

You are so kind to make peanut-free goodie bags. I wish we lived closer and I would bring my kids trick'r'treating to your door!

My mom never let us eat those candies - she said they would pull out our fillings so she would give them to my dad.

Bobkat said...

halloween was not celebrated in the UK when I was a child adn it still isn't a big thing over here so I have few memories of it. I am sure the kids will love those bags. You have gone to so much trouble. I am currently putting together Christmas boxes for needy children.

I am very pleased to hear that you are feeling better. Good for you. It's slongslow road but I am glad you are feeling better.

Congratulations on all the anniversaries!

Kristi said...

Can I come trick-or-treating at your house? Because seriously, you're a trick-or-treating kid's (or kid at heart's) dream!

And happy anniversaries! I hope you celebrate each one, whether you go out to do it or not. I'm a homebody too, and always have been. Give me a good DVD rental and a pizza on a Friday night over going out for dinner and a movie anytime.