Tuesday, January 09, 2007

Travel Tuesdays #2

It was always fun to take a cab out to the original city site and wander around in the mud ruins. Most times, my friends and I would be the only people there. Click for larger pictures.


"City of old Diriyah
The ruins of the historically significant city of Diriyah, standing imposing and silent in the desert about 12 miles (20km) northwest of Riyadh city centre, provide an interesting excursion. The city, stronghold of the powerful Saud family, was the site of an important Islamic reform movement in around 1745, when two influential Imams called for the people to return to the true faith and abandon heresy, polytheism and superstition. The city was once the biggest in the Arab Peninsula, but was overtaken by Riyadh after being destroyed by the Turks in the early 19th century. The ruins of many of the mud-brick buildings remain to be explored."

3 comments:

Begered said...

Pretty cool pictures of your time in Saudi Arabia. I like how you did the collage...it's looks really nice. I have been meaning to post some pics of my two big trips to Russia (2004) and Iraq (2006). This sounds like a great way to do it, "Travel Tuesdays". Hope you don't mind. BTW, my mom does that kind of stuff to me as well. I guess that's just what they do!

Mitey Mite said...

Glad you got past your picture posting problem. These are great. I'll try to remember Travel Tuesday next week.

Moon said...

I love the pics. and I really love the way u displayed them on the page.
Happy New Year to u also...unreal the pic on last post of your yard, its like that here also. No snow at christmas!! just wrong..lol...I am not complaining but I am just afraid we will be paying for it BIGTIME very soon!!!