Monday, May 01, 2006

Four years ago (almost to the day), while in Alicante, Spain, I had my purse stolen which had my passport, tickets, and money inside. I assumed it was stolen by a gypsy, since I had seen many poor people hanging around the train and bus stations begging for money.
Anyway, to make long story short, within a few hours I was lucky enough to find that my purse had been turned in at the local police station and everything was returned except for my money and credit card (oh, and my favourite MAC lipstick and a pair of socks with cats on them!) I was relieved...very relieved. But I never lost my nut, my head was screwed on straight, I didn't cry, I was just making plans on how to get to Madrid to get a new passport and then hook up with my friends again. I called my mom later that same day and told her what had happend. Rather than being relieved, she yelled at me "HOW CAN YOU BE SO STUPID?!?!?!?"

Today, my mom called me in hysterics. She is in Berlin, and her wallet was stolen. She was mostly worried about her credit card. "Don't worry" I say, "I'll call and cancel it. Do you have enough money? What else can I do?" I never once yelled, and certainly never called her stupid. These things happen, right? So, I cancelled her VISA card, called her back and told her that she should probably go to the police station and report her wallet missing. Maybe some nice person turned her wallet in. (After all, I was lucky, right?)

I then called my brother, and guess what the first words out of his mouth were? "SHE HAD HER WALLET STOLEN?! HOW COULD SHE BE SO STUPID?!?!?" Ahhh...what comes around, goes around. But of course, I say "It's not her fault, it's not like she asked for it to be stolen!"

I hang up and there is a message waiting. I listen to the message and it's my mom. She has never quite grasped the concept that with the Call Answer feature on the phone, people can't hear you while you are actually on the phone with someone else. This was the message :"Ramona! Ramona! (HUGE sigh) For god's sake why don't you pick up the phone!!!!!"

I call her back. Turns out that her wallet wasn't stolen afterall. She had found it in the side pocket of her stupid Silver purse, and that's not where she usually puts it.

So, in the end, it was the Stupid Silver Purse's fault.

No comments: