Tuesday, March 21, 2006

I was sitting at a local outdoor cafe having lunch by myself and two men came and sat down at my table..... I gave them the death look, but they just casually stayed at my table and wouldn't leave me alone. I shined up my ring on my married finger (the one I got in Las Vegas!) then placed my hand on the table and I hinted to them that I was married and that I was not interested in them. Luckily for me they got the hint and left, but thankfully the whole thing was captured on the Cafe's camera. I'm sending you this picture as a warning.............. just in case they try and pick you up too.
Honestly, some men think they are God's gift!!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Then I fell out of bed and woke up! (Reminder to self: Must work more nightshifts!)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Back on nights this week, and so far, so good. It's giving me some time during the day to get stuff done, like pack, and clean, and blog, and talk on the phone.

Tomorrow night is Book Club and the Pick of the Month is Their Eyes Were Watching God. Initially, I was put off by the book, thinking that it would never be something I would willingly pick up and read, but I'm SO glad that I did! It was a little difficult to get used to the African-American dialect widely used throughout this book, but when I got into the swing of it, I couldn't put it down. The author, Zora Neale Hurston, was a novelist, folklorist, and anthropologist and wrote this novel over a 7 week period while doing anthropological research on Voodoo in Haiti.

From the depths of my memory, I remember taking a course called People and Cultures of the Caribbean over 20 years ago when I majored in Anthropology at University. The primary text was a compilation of articles written by various anthropologists, and funny enough, when I was reading the Foreward and Afterward of Their Eyes Were Watching God, I swear that I remember an article she wrote about Voodoo in Haiti! Perhaps it was because I knew nothing about Voodoo, except that they stuck pins in dolls, but I remember being fascinated about this culture: their music, their dance, their rituals.

I have to admit, this book has stirred up a long-forgotten interest of mine, and that is the writings of anthropologists, and their experiences within different cultures. I never pursued any of this beyond my three years at University, and opted instead to become a nurse. In my mind, I know that I chose the right profession for myself, and I could probably even say that because of my interest in other cultures, it lead me to Saudi Arabia.

So, thanks to the Book Club, I've found Zora Neale Hurston, and I'm going to start rekindling my relationship with Anthropology. I found this today, that I'd like to share with anyone else who might share this interest : Women of Discovery: Zora Neale Hurston

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Is it not crazy, how sometimes these blog entries take on a life of their own?

Brad Pitt---Nightshift---Eyes Watching God---Voodoo...

Is there a connection?!

No comments: