Saturday, May 06, 2006

Wildflowers

Since having the trailer, I have appreciated new things in life. When I first met Greg, and he told me about his mom's trailer, in my mind I just imagined it to be some red-necked, dirty, trashy kind of place. I was guilty of stereo-typing. The day we went up there, I was so pleasantly surprised, and remember thinking that I could get used to hanging out in the trailer-park. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think I would end up with my very own trailer!
Before meeting Greg, I led a very different life. I worked for tax-free dollars in Saudi Arabia, and was allowed two months per year to travel wherever I wanted. And I had the financial means to do so. I stayed in 5 Star hotels pretty much wherever I went, which was very comfortable. At the time, I was (and I know I was!) very fortunate.
But there is something about my way of thinking that I think has changed. Not necessarily because I met Greg and chose to plan the rest of life with him, because I think the metamorphosis started before then. What I've realized, is that it is the simpler things in life that make me happier. Travelling the world is fascinating, there is no doubt about that. But I honestly think that staying in 5 Star hotels seperates you, and disallows you to really appreciate a culture. My fondest travels have been with a backpack and a guidebook, talking to locals and other travellers, and being immersed into that culture, still as a foreigner, but without the pretention that goes along with being a 5 Star traveller.
Our trailer needs a lot of work. Our roof is leaky, we have no hot water, our toilet bowl needs to be chased with a pitcher of water every time we use it. But every time I go up there, I find something new that sparks wonder in me.
This past week, the wildflowers were blooming.
And I was impressed with the beauty just outside my door.
 Posted by Picasa