Monday, January 16, 2006

It was my turn to work the weekend this week, and as a favour, I worked the nightshift. I have to say, that this was the easiest weekend I ever worked as there were no emergency OR's, and I got to snuggle up in a heated blankie and sleep...both nights. It's very unusual, but I guess there were no serious gunshot fights or stabbings this weekend. Toronto has been inundated with gang turf wars this past year, and for me, personally, I think it is one of the biggest issues for the upcoming election. At least it is one that I've paid more attention to, probably because I deal with these people on the hospital end. It's heartbreaking when an innocent person is caught in the crossfire, but I must admit, I am not so sympathetic when the patient is clinging to life, with police guards at the end of the bed, and is 'well-known to the police.' The guards are there to protect the patient from someone coming back to finish the job, but the nurses are also glad that they are there...it does give a sense of security. In the past two weeks, the unit that I work in, has officially turned into a "locked" unit, which means that you need a special passkey to gain access to work. It also means that visitors can't just walk willy-nilly into the unit. It's a good thing, something that the nurses have been advocating for, for the past 3 years. It's taken an increase in gun violence in our city, in order to make the change.
So I now have three days off (in the middle of the week!) and I plan on being productive (as soon as I finish blogging!)
We emptied out our storage locker and now I have 15 boxes and various suitcases in the middle of the living room. It kind of looks like we just moved in. So, I'm unpacking and trying to find a place for all the junk I didn't miss for the past year. And, that means having to tackle the laundry room and rearrange everything to fit like a puzzle.
I am hosting the first meeting of The Book Club on Wednesday night, so it's good that I feel like I have a deadline to clean things up.
I am tres exciting about the book club! I got to choose the book, so I chose "Angry Housewives Eating Bonbons by Lorna Landvik." I thought it was a good choice for the first book, as it is about a bookclub.
Last week, I turned in a few gift certificates that we received as wedding gifts and bought an Empire Red, Kitchen Aid Stand Mixer. I am thrilled with this gift, but somewhat intimidated by it! I've had it for over a week, and have yet to plug it in. But, on Wednesday, I plan to use it to try out one of the recipes that came with the mixer: Crab Dip. (Sounds a little lame, I know, but I've got to start easy!)
I have given Greg a couple of options for Wednesday: he can hang around and be our Man-servant, or he can hightail it out of here, and watch the hockey game with the guys. Guess which option he'll be taking?!

No comments: